What personality trait influence emotional intelligence?

"Learning a language is a never-ending journey -- even for native speakers -- so focusing on the path ahead is self-defeating. After all, there will always be more to learn."
https://www.inc.com/justin-bariso/productivity-emotional-intelligence-how-to-be-more-productive-how-to-measure-success-self-worth-rule-of-reappraisal.html

It's something I've done quite a bit, even though falling into guilt trips or succumbing to criticism from people knowing nothing of how much work is involved in my field made me feel like a failure..

Now I know it's a strategy to avoid/bypass helplessness.. "Equanimity & Refocus" has been a motto for a few years..
I know I struggle to keep my feelings under control (which is something I've been made feel bad for doing so, so on top of feeling negative emotions, I feel bad for feeling them) but I read a book earlier this year (can't remember the title, it was about the female body I believe) and it was saying doing so help them damn feelings to be processed fully, which also seems to be a more intelligent way to "digest" them, complete the cycle and move on, than to "repress" them..

Another thing I have been made aware in the last year was the notion that "negative" doesn't mean "bad", it means they feel unpleasant, and that's why we perceive them as bad, because they make us feel bad, but those are two different things.
Feeling disgust is a way to protect yourself from rotten food, is a negative feeling that feels bad to protect you from harm.

Showing anger can be seen as a sign of being under threat, not automatically linked to being on the defensive.
Violence is attack, anger can be a response to mistreatment, once again a reaction to protect yourself, some people don't display anger, and yet will behave violently..
Tell me which one is better, defending yourself against a threat OR emotionlessly attacking someone?

"It’s important to notice something here: Feelings are NOT designed to have us slow down and really feel them. We may not even be consciously aware of our emotional state."
https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/harnessing-principles-change/202010/the-key-skill-we-rarely-learn-how-feel-your-feelings

I was wondering if neuroticism had an impact on EI has it seems to emphasise negative emotions, so I was also wondering could it be emphasising all emotions, and after a bit of research i found this which actually conclude for each personality traits that:
  • Openness influence EI
  • Conscientiousness doesn't influence EI
  • Extraversion influence EI
  • Agreeableness influence EI
  • Neuroticism doesn't influence EI

Aucun commentaire: